20 January 2009

Today Is An Awesome Day

Today is an awesome day.


I didn’t think it’d be that awesome at first though. For starters, I didn’t get much sleep last night (good ol’ Insomnia) and got to work about an hour and a half late, not only because I was rushing from lack of sleep but also because…I took the train to work today because I refused to drive. It had snowed super hard this morning. I didn’t feel like it at all. And the trains ran ridiculously off-schedule.


Once I walked into the office, however, everything changed somewhat instantly. I walked in right when the inauguration was starting, Obama was shown, and a couple performances/speeches were being performed/spoken before he came onto the podium. For an hour at the office, no one worked. Our eyes remained glued to the television screen. My coworkers and I were in unison, shouting our “Amen”s, “Yes, Lords” and clapping excitedly as the awesome day began to unravel itself.


The prayers given were beautifully spoken. The poet that performed was awesome and her piece was very articulately read. The cameras showing the droves of people that came from every corner of the country for the event in DC as well as key areas such as Selma, Alabama, Indonesia, and Kenya were very awe-inspiring and touching. The world gathered together—united and stood still for this moment. And for once in our nation’s entire history, the people of the nation were unified and exemplified the very meaning of the Pledge of Allegiance. It was an awesome day indeed.


When Obama came up to the podium and gave yet another moving speech, I kid you not that tears found a place almost uncomfortably at the corner of my eyes. I was deeply moved by his words as he mentioned the backroads taken so that we as American People could not only be afforded but also be a part—an integral part--to such change that starts…today. Not a year and a half ago when Obama became a possible candidate for the Democratic party, not in June 2008 when he beat out Hillary Rodham Clinton and became the Democratic nominee, and not even November 4th when he survived a very tiring yet awesome and expertly constructed campaign run against Republican nominee, John McCain through the months of rumors, suspicions, and mass fear from every corner of not only the country but the world as a whole. None of that counted. What counted…what made things official was…today. January 20th. 2009 when we, as an American Nation, officially announced our 44th President of the United States, President Barack Hussein Obama.



Today was an awesome day indeed. I have a poem I've been working on forever. I am still not finished but as soon as it is done, I will be sharing it.


Smiling contently,


Ms_Slim


PS; I’ve just construed three parts to this blog. Consider this Part 1. The other two will be up shortly. (out)

No comments: